-- But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? -- What did you look forward to? -- To any thing, every thing -- to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perseverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured. {Jane Austen, Emma}



June 17, 2011

Henry in Paris


He was in Paris to work, and Paris was ‘an excellent place to work,’ he assured his editor at the Atlantic, William Dean Howells, who would be publishing the new novel in installments. ...
‘What shall I tell you?’ he began a letter to Howells one April morning. ‘My windows are open, the spring is becoming serious, and the soft hum of good old Paris comes into my sunny rooms…
 ‘The spring is now quite settled and very lovely,’ he told brother William a few weeks later. ‘It makes me feel extremely fond of Paris and confirms my feeling of being at home here. … I scribble along with a good deal of regularity….’ And that, as he knew William understood, was the point.
from The Greater Journey:  Americans in Paris, by David McCullough


{Henry's friend, John Singer Sargent, The Luxembourg Gardens at Twilight, 1879}

No comments: