— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

January 10, 2011

My Viragos

{It's been a difficult week (dad perfectly fine, dad in hospital, out, back in, dad getting better!). Thank goodness for family, and everyone coming together to help, and a full night's sleep and the first chance to think about something else. And for books, even if you don't have time to read them. :) }
 
Now that it's been set for January 24th-30th, I've been taking a look through my bookshelves to see what I can find for Virago Reading Week, hosted by Rachel of Book Snob and Carolyn of  A Few of My Favorite Books.  (Carolyn has compiled an amazing list here.) With help from that list, and knowing that I may have missed a couple (am only counting the green ones), I can choose from among:

The Squire and The Loved and Envied, by Enid Bagnold
A Little Love, A Little Learning and Walking Naked, by Nina Bawden
*A Very Great Profession, by Nicola Beauman
*The New House, by Lettice Cooper
Thank Heaven Fasting and The Way Things Are, by E.M. Delafield
The Semi-Attached Couple and *The Semi-Detached House, by Emily Eden
*Full House, by M.J. Farrell (Molly Keane)
The Ladies of Lyndon, Together and Apart and The Constant Nymph, by Margaret Kennedy
The Weather in the Streets, by Rosamond Lehmann
The Perpetual Curate and The Rector and the Doctor's Family, by Mrs. Oliphant
One Fine Day, by Mollie Panter-Downes
Try Anything Twice, by Jan Struther
The Gentlewomen, by Laura Talbot
The Sleeping Beauty, The Soul of Kindness, The Wedding Group, The Blush, A View of the Harbour and Blaming, by Elizabeth Taylor
*Celia, The Curate's Wife, and Jenny Wren, by E.H. Young {and I borrowed Chatterton Square from the library, because so many people have been recommending it}

Setting aside Elizabeth Taylor (only because I just read her) and the ones (marked with a *) that I've read at least once (until Virago Re-Reading Week), do you have any recommendations for the ones I should stack up to read?

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

5 comments:

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

One Fine Day has my vote. A gentle yet wonderful novel, especially if life has been a little stressful for you at the moment. Hope your Dad continues to get better.

Eva said...

I have no recommendations, just wanted to send my best wishes to you and your father.

Maggie said...

I found you via Vintage Reads favourite blogs list, and had to look at them since they are all to do with books and readers. You have some great books on your blog that I want to investigate further... The Book Shop for one and Louise Penny the writer too.
I am a fan of the Persephone imprints, are you? Expensive, and I have to limit myself now since we have lost two thirds of our income (gulp!) but... it makes them all the more special if you have to save for them.
Lovely blog and I will be back another time, for another browse. I can see the Amazon basket getting fuller, and fuller...

bookssnob said...

I hope your Dad is doing much better - I'm sorry you've had such a stressful time. My recommendations would be The Squire and One Fine Day - both simply beautiful books.

lyn said...

What a wonderful list of Viragos. I'd recommend One Fine Day, The New House or Weather in the Streets, all absorbing reads. I have The Squire (& dozens more on the tbr shelves) & I think I'll be reading that for VRW.I do hope your Dad continues to improve.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson