'She summarised; she saved; she appears seldom indeed to have let a good story pass without catching it on the wing. ... But it's not, you'll understand, when she's most vivid that she's always most publishable.' — Henry James, 'The Friends of the Friends'

December 18, 2010

Filed under 'dream house'

There hasn't been much reading around here, this week and last. That's understandable, with Christmas coming, and in a way it's perfect. I'm just snatching a few minutes here and there with a very undemanding vintage mystery. (Very undemanding. So far, it's taken 100 pages for the victim to die and almost another 100 pages for Scotland Yard to show up.)  There's been a lot of baking, though (some old recipes and some new ones), and some stacking up of books for when things get back to normal after Christmas.

In the meantime, a lot of book blogs have regular features that I enjoy reading ... there's a 'library loot' thing, where people report on what they've borrowed from the library, and a 'library lust' thing, where people share images of beautiful rooms or especially cool bookshelves.  

I just brought home three books that don't require actual reading (though I could, if I wanted to, and I can keep them till mid-January).  There's the newest Barefoot Contessa cookbook (a little disappointing, at first glance, but Ina always has at least one recipe that I want to try)...

a funky book about the joys of having a messy house (I wouldn't want to live in any of those rooms, except the kitchen in the baking chapter)...

and this beautiful book, which I was happy to find after reading about it here.

I waver back and forth between my dream house being a little stone cottage in the country or a townhouse (even part of one) on Beacon Hill, but being able to have a ROLLING LIBRARY LADDER (something I have always wanted) in my KITCHEN might sway me once and for all.

Wherever you live, I hope you're enjoying the holiday season.

{The photo, showing an 1865 brownstone in Brooklyn Heights,
is from Restoring a House in the City.}

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


Joan Hunter Dunn said...

And the floor to ceiling windows... Dream house indeed.

Thomas at My Porch said...

I might end up getting annoyed by the ladder (I would know doubt bump into it too frequently), but I love, love, love that kitchen.

Penny said...

I, too, have different ideas of my dream house. When I win the Lottery, I'll have a job choosing which one to go for. But I'll definitely have a moving library ladder! (I'm only 5'1"!)

Frances said...

I would ride the ladder too often for practicality. So love that room and that book, Restoring a House i the City. But the blog it comes from is such a wonderful place to visit too. Wonderful escapism you have going on here today.