'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

November 8, 2010

Oh, lovely!



The schedule for the new (2011) season of Masterpiece Classic hasn't been posted yet, but it looks like the British series Downton Abbey will be shown in January.* I saw trailers for it when I was in Switzerland, some of the UK bloggers I follow have been commenting on it, and it definitely sounds like my cup of tea.  In fact, if this rumor is true, with a new Upstairs, Downstairs also in the works, my cup of tea will runneth over. 

{*The DVD is on the ShopPBS web site, for shipping at the end of January, and this site says so as well.}


.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



4 comments:

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

It's worth waiting for - it has brightened my Sunday evening.

Thomas at My Porch said...

Yay, I can't wait! I still have a hard time calling it "Masterpiece Classics" though.

Frances said...

A new Upstairs, Downstairs? The best news today. Very excited.

Darlene said...

I'm beside myself waiting for Upstairs/Downstairs! As for Downton Abbey, it's sheer anglophilia heaven. The clothes, the rooms, Maggie Smith...say no more!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson