'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

November 1, 2010

Books read in October

This was a good month!  My reading was dictated by a group read and by the books that flooded into the library when I got back from my trip, but still. There wasn't a single book that was disappointing, and I read some books that I've been impatiently waiting for, and two classics that I wish I had discovered a long time ago.

Emma, by Jane Austen
A Vintage Affair, by Isabel Wolff (chicklit, but an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, in the interesting setting of a London vintage clothing store)
Cotillion, by Georgette Heyer (my favorite, among the three I've now read)
Bad Boy, by Peter Robinson
The Charming Quirks of Others, by Alexander McCall Smith
Murder at Mansfield Park, by Lynn Shepherd
Madame Bovary, by Gustave Flaubert, in a new translation by Lydia Davis,
A Question of Belief, by Donna Leon
An Expert in Murder, by Nicola Upson (this was a quick re-read, because I wanted to remember this book before I read the second in the series)
'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,' from The Sketch Book, by Washington Irving
A Life Like Other People's, a gently funny and very (personally) moving memoir by Alan Bennett (of An Uncommon Reader) about his parents and his aunts
'Afterward,' by Edith Wharton

There's something nice about having a new month start on a Monday, with two good audiobooks in progress and a stack of books in print to look forward to.  I still have the new Simon Serrailler, from Susan Hill (starting that next), and Stephanie Barron's new Jane Austen mystery, then I'm planning to read Persuasion (the last time I'll read Jane Austen for the first time!) and A Game of Hide and Seek, by Elizabeth Taylor, for the Cornflower Book Group, for starters. :)

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

4 comments:

bookssnob said...

Oh you will love Persuasion! I am so jealous that you get to experience it for the first time...I wish I still had the pleasure of discovering such a beautiful story! I can't wait to find out what you think.

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Your list is fantastic and right up my alley! I knew there was a reason I was a follower! :)

Vintage Reading said...

Can't wait for your thoughts on Persuasion. I've just re-read it and it's my favourite novel!

Marie said...

i hope you love persuasion :) that's probably my favorite austen. looks like you had a fabulous reading month in october!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson