— But you will be ready to say, what was your hope in doing this? — What did you look forward to? — To any thing, every thing — to time, chance, circumstances, slow effects, sudden bursts, perserverance and weariness ... Every possibility of good was before me, and the first of blessings secured ... — from Emma, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

September 14, 2010

To Coppet...




I've been stressing much more than necessary in deciding what books, and how many books, to take on my trip. Normally, three weeks = four or five books, but there'll be one long daylight plane ride and some down time. (And then my funny friend Marie just had to mention that she would need backups, in case something didn't work out...) It has also felt very odd not to have a book in progress...but I didn't want to start something I would have to wait three weeks to finish, or lug a half-finished book on the plane (with one exception). At least one of the books should be light and cheerful, so I could read without reading, if you know what I mean. And then there's bulk, and weight, and schlepping them around.

So, in the end, after a lot of waffling, here's what I've packed:

A season of splendor : the court of Mrs. Astor in gilded age New York, by Greg King.  Big and book hunger-filling, and something I got on library reserve earlier this summer and didn't have time to read.

Edith Wharton:  A Biography, by R.W.B. Lewis. I read the first hundred-or-so pages in August, up to the time when she buys The Mount, because I was hoping to go to the Mount, but didn't. I'm going the minute I get home  (it will be beautiful in the Berkshires then); there's also more about Lenox as a Gilded Age resort in the Greg King book.  I never knew (or maybe I did, but I forgot) that Edith and Mrs. Astor were first cousins.

Emma, by Jane Austen.  I planned to read this in August too, but set it aside to finish some other books when my travel plans came into being. Re-reading Emma, and then reading Persuasion for the first time, will finish my Jane Austen reading project. (I just found a beautiful new annotated edition of Pride and Prejudice, though, so may not quite finish.) I'm saving Persuasion for when I come home, though, because it deserves autumn afternoons, and tea, and attention.

Madame de Staël : the first modern woman, by Francine du Plessix Gray, because I am going chez elle, and possibly even chez elle, and I don't know anything about her, except that she has been described as the anti-Austen. (Delicious.)

Pomfret Towers, by Angela Thirkell. The first book in the series, and a small, slim, light, extremely cheering book. For the plane ride home.

I didn't plan the nice connections among these books, but I like them. I should probably leave one of these home (and maybe I will), because I'll surely have less time for reading than I think I'll have, and I'm staying in a house with books, and I have 37 (seems like it, anyway) audiobooks on my Ipod. But I don't want to think about it anymore. I'm comforted, and I'm off!

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

4 comments:

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

I always get nervous on making sure I have brought the right amount of books! I'm really excited to hear about the Edith Wharton biography -- after reading The House of Mirth, I'm a new fan of hers.

Joan Hunter Dunn said...

Happy Travels and Reading. I loved your thought on Persuasion needing autumn afternoons, tea and attention.

El said...

What a wonderful selection. Sounds like it will keep you busy for a little while. I love the etching you chose for this post too. It's lovely.

Vintage Reading said...

Enjoy your travels. Jane Austen is a truly autumnal read in every sense. Perfect.

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club The Brontës the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson