'How pleasant it is to spend an evening in this way! I declare that after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! — When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.' No one made any reply. She then yawned again, threw aside her book, and cast her eyes round the room in quest of some amusement. — from Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen (1775-1817)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

July 15, 2010

Returning to Paris in July

I've been enjoying the group event organized by Book Bath and Thyme for Tea (thank you!), even though I haven't been participating as much as I wanted to (and even though I seem to have gone to England for a while instead.) But there's still (technically) more than half of July left, so I'll try harder. I had big plans for Bastille Day, which has come and gone, but I did pull out or borrow some books and a movie, so my coffee table, at least, looks very Parisian.

Food from Paris
One of the things I know I want to do is cook or bake something, but it's just been too hot. (Apparently, it's been hot in Paris, too, so our experience has been even more authentic!)  I do have four Parisian or at least French cookbooks...

Mastering the art of French Cooking, Volume I, by Julia Child
Bistro Cooking, by Patricia Wells
Pierre Franey's Cooking in France, by Pierre Franey
Chocolate and Zucchini, by Clotilde Dusoulier

Two others that I put on reserve at the beginning of the month just came in too...

The Paris Cookbook, by Patricia Wells
Paris Sweets, by Dorie Greenspan (there are also a lot of French recipes in her book Baking from my home to yours. I've made raspberry blanc-manger, a French yogurt cake, and a French pear tart from that book.)

...and I did spend some time looking for recipes, which has been fun. (I've also been watching or at least recording French Food at Home, on the new Cooking Channel. I love her kitchen!) A lot of the recipes I bookmarked are for colder weather, but I've promised myself to try at least one. Chocolate and Zucchini has some possibilities:

Salade de poulet, peches & noisettes
{chicken salad with peaches and hazelnuts}

Allumettes noisette thym
(hazelnut thyme matchsticks}

Pates par absorption.courgette et cacao
{cacao and zucchini absorption pasta...maybe not. That has to be the  most unromantic recipe title ever, even when you say it in French...and I'm really not sure about the cacao nib garnish}

Mini-quiches poulet & noix de cajou
{chicken and cashew mini-quiches...that sounds better!}

Crumble de courgettes, figues & mozzarella

{zucchini crumble with figs and mozzarella. When I made my one extended trip to Paris, my sister and I had lunch in a tiny cafe in the Marais that specialized in crumbles. How funny is that?}

Movies
I have a movie titled Paris from Netflix, and there's a movie called Paris 36 on Starz this month. So I'll probably watch a movie about Paris...Oh, I have 8 Women on my DVR too. It's French at least, if not Parisian, and it looks like fun.

Books
I have two, stacked up on the coffee table next to the cookbooks. After seeing it on Frances' list, I borrowed a book of novellas  by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt, called The Most Beautiful Book in the World, from the library...I think at least one of the stories (maybe more) is set in Paris. And I found a book I forgot I had (that happens embarrassingly often) - Simple Passion, by Annie Ernaux, also set in Paris. (I think I'll try to save the Americans-in-Paris books for another time)

1 comment:

Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Hello, YUM! French food is divine -- I didn't make anything for my Paris in July last weekend, but instead went to a French restaurant that I blogged about. I love French food -- breakfast, lunch, dinner, mmhmm!

Thank you for visiting!

Card Catalog

#6barsets #emma200th #maisie #PalliserParty #Woolfalong A.A. Milne Agatha Christie Alexander McCall Smith Amy Lowell Angela Thirkell Ann Bridge Anne Perry Anthony Trollope Anticipation Armchair Travels Art Audiobooks Barbara Pym Biography Bloomsbury Bookish things Boston British Library Crime Classics Cambridge Cathleen Schine Charles Dickens Charlotte Bronte Coffee-table books Cookbooks D.E. Stevenson Deborah Crombie Donna Leon Dorothy L. Sayers E.H. Young E.M. Forster Edith Wharton Elinor Lipman Elizabeth Gaskell Elizabeth Jenkins Elizabeth Taylor Elizabeth von Arnim Emily Dickinson Ernest Hemingway Eudora Welty Fiction Films Food from Books Food Writing Found on a Blog George Eliot Georgette Heyer Helen Ashton Henry James History Homes and Haunts Ideas Imogen Robertson Isabella Stewart Gardner Jacqueline Winspear Jane Austen Joanna Trollope Julia Child Language Laurie Colwin Letters Library Books Literature Louise Andrews Kent Louise Penny M.F.K. Fisher Madame Bovary Madame de Sévigné Madame de Staël Margaret Kennedy Margery Sharp Mary Shelley Memoirs Miss Read My Year with Edith Mysteries Nathaniel Hawthorne Nonfiction Nook Only Connect P.D. James Paris in July Persephones Plays Poetry Pride and Prejudice 200 Queen Victoria R.I.P. Reading England 2015 Ruth Rendell Sarah Orne Jewett Short Stories Switzerland Sylvia Beach Team Middlemarch The 1924 Club the Carlyles The Classics Club Thomas Hardy Virago Virginia Woolf Washington Irving Willa Cather William Maxwell Winifred Peck Winifred Watson